Yesterday I looked back at the low points of last year. Now I want to post about what my day-to-day life is now. It’s a definite improvement from several months ago, but it still needs some improvement. So, a typical weekday looks something like this:
6:30 ish: Get up with the baby
OR (more likely)
8:00 ish: Get up after having let Saintly Husband get up with the baby.
I prefer getting up with the baby, but I don’t have much willpower at 6:30 a.m. Anyway, it doesn’t make that big a difference. The things that would really give me a head start on my day–showering/getting dressed or unloading the dishwasher–would wake up Girl 1 and there would go my head start time.
So, if I get up with the baby, I sit in a stupor on the couch with her, get my coffee, and maybe get her breakfast, until 8ish when Pat and Girl 1 wake. Or, Pat gets up with her and I wake up around 8. In either case, come 8:00, I rush around to get out the door to get Girl 1 to preschool.
After taking Girl 1 to preschool, I try to get as many of the following done:
- unload dishwasher
- feed baby breakfast
- take a shower
- start on laundry
- start making lunch (I try to make it our main meal)
- put the baby down for a nap
Oh, wait a minute, there’s someone here who wants to say something:
Hmm. Well, Homer. Why don’t you tell us what you really think, already? Alrighty then, I get the point.
I’ll try to keep this brief. Here are the three, related trouble spots in my current routine:
- Because my mornings are so rushed, a lot of what should be high-priority tasks are pushed to the evening. Mainly, prayer and exercise. To a lesser extent, reading and writing and keeping in touch with family and friends. By the time evening comes, I’m tired and it’s easy to skip or . . ..
- I veg out on the computer until it’s too late. Our girls go to bed around 7:30. By the time dishes are done, living room tidied, etc., it’s 8:00 or later. I sit on the couch with my laptop, look at Pinterest and a few blogs and BOOM it’s 11 p.m. Pat and I haven’t said our Rosary. I haven’t done my back exercises. I haven’t even written a blog post. Okay, it’s not always that bad but somehow time just flies in the evening. The way I spend that time is not very productive and only slightly restorative.
- Finally, because of all this, I go to bed too late. I’m too tired to do anything productive at night but somehow I don’t feel like going to bed early enough. It’s like I need at least 3 hours in which I’m awake but the girls are asleep. So, I never ever get up early and well-rested. It’s always one or the other. And yet I like getting up early. I like getting a head start on my day. *Sigh*
So, tomorrow I’ll finish Part 3 of my New Year’s Reflections, including how I plan to spend my evening time more wisely and what I intend to accomplish.
Try to contain yourself.