This Thursday night, I’m linking up with Kelly for Seven Quick Takes (or I will tomorrow, anyway).
Big news in the world of fashion and style: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge (nee Kate Middleton), recently made a public appearance wearing a navy blue dress with black stockings and shoes.
Shortly after she appeared wearing a brown dress with black stockings and black shoes.
I don’t think this got nearly the press it should have. I love navy blue, but it’s always a pain figuring out what shoes to wear with it. I usually go with brown boots and tights. Another option is nude pantyhose with nude heels (so much nudity! I’m blushing!). But, even though Princess Kate wears nude ‘hose, I’m still inclined to take the majority view that–while okay when necessary–they’re not a great look.
But navy and black I can get behind.
2. Bonnie over at A Knotted Life hosts this awesome event called the Sheenazing Awards. In honor of Ven. Fulton Sheen, it’s a way for people to nominated and vote for their favorite Catholic blogs in a variety of categories (there’s also a category for best non-papist blog).
You should check out and vote on the list of nominees and check out some new-to-you blogs while you’re at it. You can vote for me in the “best under-appreciated blog” category–thank you, all of you (I know there were at least three!) who nominated me!
I feel kind of funny about that category. Do I think I’m underappreciated? I want to say, “oh no, I don’t feel underappreciated.” But maybe I do? If I do I don’t want to admit it. I’ll admit that I could stand more appreciation if it were to come my way. Let’s leave it at that.
3. Most of the bloggers I nominated made it to the list of nominees or honorable mentions, but some didn’t. That’s likely because I didn’t enter in the blog name and URL correctly on the nomination form. So, I’d like to give a shout-out to
Jill of Dulce Donum, whom I tried to nominate for Most Inspiring Blog,
Lisa of Joie de Vivre, whom I tried to nominate for Miss Congeniality, and
John Janaro of Never Give Up, whom I tried to nominate for Best Blog by a Man (funny category but it makes sense given blogging is such a female-dominated thing).
4. Bonnie somehow neglected my very favorite genre, that of Catholic Lawyer Mommy Bloggers, which includes these ladies (roughly in the order of how well I know them),
Martha of Shiny Happy Catholics,
Theresa of The Brez Blog (soon to go private, I think?)
The mysterious, anonymous, soul-searchingly honest Law In Mom :-),
Liz of The Gupdate,
Annabelle at Written by the Finger of God,
Renee at Cappedocia in Lowell.
Am I missing anyone? I hope I’m not missing anyone.
5. I followed The Nester’s advice and “quieted” my living room after removing the Christmas decorations. I can’t wait to continue redecorating, but for now I’m enjoying the breathing space that all those bare walls give. I struggle to figure out how much to hang on the walls. I love clean, minimalist decorating, but I usually feel like we need more decorative stuff to counterbalance all the ugly, everyday junk that accumulates.
I’m looking at you, Mr. Purple-Ed.
6. A certain auntie is about to get the best thank you card of her life.
This is what happens when your six-year-old is great at phonics but still can’t distinguish between the “F” and “TH” sounds.
7. Back to you, Kelly. Happy weekend all!