1. My girls have been loving the Penny books by Kevin Henkes. I find his stories and illustrations just charming.
Reading these got me thinking about other author/illustrators of children’s books we love. They include:
2. James Mayhew: My girls love the Ella Bella Ballerina books.
3. Ben Hatke: I’ve followed his artwork on his blog for a long time, and it is just delightful (as are Ben and his wife and daughters, whom I have the pleasure to know). Truth be told, I haven’t read the Zita books to my girls yet; I think Girl 1 is just now getting to the point where she could follow it. My 9-year-old brother really enjoyed them, and I’m looking forward to reading them to my kids.
Did you know books have trailers nowadays? Check out the Zita spacegirl trailer.
4. Arnold Lobel: His Frog and Toad books are favorites from my childhood that I’m rediscovering with my girls. I love his wry little observations on life.
Also, I’m realizing my marriage works because, although I’m like Toad, my husband is like Frog. (Inside joke, sorry. You’ll have to read the books.)
A delightful claymation series was made out of the Frog and Toad books a few decades ago. You can watch them on You Tube. So cute. (They’re included on this Curious George DVD.) I think my girls are put off by Toad’s gravelly voice, but I love it.
5. Richard Scarry: Another favorite from my childhood. Beware the newer spin-off’s. Not as good. Go for the originals, like the Please and Thank You Book. It made me the joy and pleasure I am to be with today. 😉
The only downside is that his books are sooooo long. But they’re worth it.